By Amos Aar
BENUE State governor, Samuel Ortom, has accused the federal government of working with terrorists from Niger, Libya, Cameroon, Mauritania and Senegal to enable the foreign terrorists take over Nigeria.
Governor Ortom made this strong allegation Sunday, in an interview with journalists in Makurdi shortly after he visited victims of attack from suspected Fulani herdsmen on Abagena community who were still receiving treatment at the Benue State University Teaching Hospital, Makurdi as at the time of this report.
He insisted that the federal government is shielding alleged Fulani killer herdsmen who he said have continued to perpetrate unprovoked killings in the state even as the leadership of Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore came out publicly and claimed the perpetual killings and vowed to take over the Benue Valley.
“This is my pain, since 2015, I have cried out loud that the federal government is complicit to the issues of terrorism, raising Fulanis in Niger from Futa Jalon (Senegal), Cameroon, Mauritania and Libya and other parts of the world so that they will come to Nigeria and take it and make it their country.
“One thing that pains me is that these people have not hidden their intentions and they are known but the federal government is protecting them. I have called for the arrest of the leadership of Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore several times. I have written to the Presidency. I have written to DSS, I have written to the police, and yet they are adamant. It is not that these people are not known, they are known,” Governor Ortom said asserting that if the federal government wants the killings to end, it will end.
“The day that the federal government wants these acts of terrorism against our people to end, that will be it. But for now, they are complicit. They are working with them to push for the take-over of this country and make this country a Fulani nation.
“I am quoting the Fulani National Movement, I am quoting Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore, who are responsible for these recruitment and killings that are going on. No one has attempted to even call these people and question them and do the needful. If we are a country that believes in the rule of law, this will not continue,” he said.
Ortom expressed disappointment over the continued invasion and killings of Benue citizens by foreign Fulani terrorists, saying: “We are fed up with this kind of lawlessness that is going on. I have restrained myself from becoming a lawless governor or a lawless leader, because this will lead to anarchy and when we get to that level, that is war, and nobody can pray for war. Those who have experienced it before, including security agencies, none of them will ask for this kind of situation,” he added.
Some of the victims of last week’s attack on Abagena community include a 14-year-old Emberga Ukpoor whose hand was cut-off, Terna Ikyaan shot in the abdomen, Kwaghve Terkimbi, 14 with his ear chopped-off, Agber Ikyume, Regina Gbashaor, Eunice Iyua were inflicted with various degrees of injuries while an aged woman, Esther Num, was shot at and the bullet penetrated her waist.
Chief Medical Director of the Benue State University Teaching Hospital, Prof Terrumun Swende, who conducted the governor round the wards where nine of the survivors were receiving treatment briefed him on the condition of each victim.